We (the folks at ShoutAbout) run a blog and social marketing platform called ShoutAbout and would love for you to use it. ShoutAbout's basic service is free, and we offer paid plans for advanced features such as custom messaging, greater retention of analytics and personalised sub-domains.
Our service is designed to give you as much control and ownership over the content you submit to your account. However, be responsible in what you publish. In particular, make sure that none of the prohibited items (like spam, viruses, or serious threats of violence) appear on your website.
These Terms of Service have been adapted from Automattic's Terms of Service which has been made available under a Creative Commons ShareAlike license, which means you are allowed to repurpose it for your own use.
Terms of Service:
Please read this Agreement carefully before accessing or using our Services. By accessing or using any part of our Services, you agree to become bound by the Terms of this Agreement. If you do not agree to all the Terms of this Agreement, then you may not access or use any of our Services. If these Terms are considered an offer by ShoutAbout, acceptance is expressly limited to these Terms.
Our Services are not directed to children. Access to and use of our Services is only for those over the age of 13 (or 16 in the European Union). If you are younger than this, you may not register for or use our Services. Any person who registers as a user or provides their personal information to our Services represents that they are 13 years of age or older (16 years or older in the European Union).
Use of our Services requires a ShoutAbout account. You agree to provide us with complete and accurate information when you register for an account. You will be solely responsible and liable for any activity that occurs under your username. You are responsible for keeping your password secure.
- Your ShoutAbout Account. If you create an account on ShoutAbout, you are responsible for maintaining the security of your account, and you are fully responsible for all activities that occur under the account and any other actions taken in connection with the account. You must immediately notify ShoutAbout of any unauthorized uses of your account, or any other breaches of security. ShoutAbout will not be liable for any acts or omissions by you, including any damages of any kind incurred as a result of such acts or omissions.
- Responsibility of Contributors. If you post material to ShoutAbout or otherwise make (or allow any third party to make) material available (any such material, "Content"), you are entirely responsible for the content of, and any harm resulting from, that Content or your conduct. That is the case regardless of what form the Content takes, which includes, but is not limited to text, photo, video, audio, or code. By using ShoutAbout, you represent and warrant that your Content and conduct do not violate these Terms. By submitting Content to ShoutAbout, you grant ShoutAbout a world-wide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, modify, adapt and publish the Content solely for the purpose of displaying, distributing, and promoting your content. This license allows ShoutAbout to make publicly-posted content available to third parties selected by ShoutAbout so that these third parties can analyze and distribute your Content through their services. If you delete Content, ShoutAbout will use reasonable efforts to remove it from shoutabout.it, but you acknowledge that caching or references to the Content may not be made immediately unavailable. Without limiting any of those representations or warranties, ShoutAbout has the right (though not the obligation) to, in ShoutAbout’s sole discretion, (i) reclaim your username or website's URL due to prolonged inactivity, suspension or cancellation, (ii) refuse or remove any content that, in ShoutAbout's reasonable opinion, violates any ShoutAbout policy or is in any way harmful or objectionable, or (iii) terminate or deny access to and use of ShoutAbout to any individual or entity for any reason. ShoutAbout will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid.
- HTTPS. We offer free HTTPS on all ShoutAbout sites by default, including those using custom domains, via Let’s Encrypt. By signing up and using a custom domain on ShoutAbout, you authorize us to act on the domain name registrant’s behalf (by requesting the necessary certificates, for example) for the sole purpose of providing HTTPS on your site.
- Advertisements. ShoutAbout reserves the right to display advertisements on your blog unless you have paid for a plan that includes the removal of ShoutAbout ads.
- Attribution. ShoutAbout reserves the right to display attribution text or links in your site footer or toolbar, attributing ShoutAbout, for example. Attribution text or links may only be removed if you are subscribed to ShoutAbout paid plan.
2. Fees, Payment, and Renewal.
- Fees. Some of our Services are offered for a fee while other Services may be free with optional paid upgrades, such as a ShoutAbout plan ("Paid Services"). By using a Paid Service, you agree to pay the specified fees, which we'll bill or charge you for in regular intervals (such as monthly, annually, or biennially), on a pre-pay basis until you cancel, which you can do at any time by contacting the relevant support team.
- Payment. If your payment fails or Paid Services are otherwise not paid for on time, we may immediately cancel or revoke your access to the Paid Services. If you contact your bank or credit card company to decline or reverse the charge of fees for Paid Services, we may revoke your access to our Services in general.
- Automatic Renewal. To ensure uninterrupted service, our Paid Services are automatically renewed. This means that unless you cancel a Paid Service before the end of the applicable subscription period, it will automatically renew, and you authorize us to invoice you or use any payment mechanism we have on record for you to collect the then-applicable subscription fee (as well as any taxes). Your Paid Services are renewed for the same interval of time. For example, if you purchase a ShoutAbout annual plan, you will be charged each year.
- Refunds. While you may cancel a Paid Service at any time, refunds are issued in our sole discretion.
- Fee Changes. We may change our fees at any time. When applicable, we may give you advance notice of the fee changes. If you don't agree with the fee changes, you can cancel your Paid Service.
3. Content Posted on Other Websites.
We have not reviewed, and cannot review, all of the material, including computer software, made available through the websites and web pages to which ShoutAbout links, and that link to ShoutAbout. ShoutAbout does not have any control over those non-ShoutAbout websites and is not responsible for their contents or their use. By linking to a non-ShoutAbout website, ShoutAbout does not represent or imply that it endorses such website. You are responsible for taking precautions as necessary to protect yourself and your computer systems from viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and other harmful or destructive content. ShoutAbout disclaims any responsibility for any harm resulting from your use of non-ShoutAbout websites and web pages.
4. Copyright Infringement and DMCA Policy.
As ShoutAbout asks others to respect its intellectual property rights, it respects the intellectual property rights of others. If you believe that material located on or linked to by ShoutAbout violates your copyright, you are encouraged to notify ShoutAbout. ShoutAbout will respond to all such notices, including as required or appropriate by removing the infringing material or disabling all links to the infringing material. ShoutAbout will terminate a visitor's access to and use of the website if, under appropriate circumstances, the visitor is determined to be a repeat infringer of the copyrights or other intellectual property rights of ShoutAbout or others. In the case of such termination, ShoutAbout will have no obligation to provide a refund of any amounts previously paid to ShoutAbout.
5. Intellectual Property.
This Agreement does not transfer from ShoutAbout to you any ShoutAbout or third party intellectual property, and all right, title, and interest in and to such property will remain (as between the parties) solely with ShoutAbout, the ShoutAbout logo, and all other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with ShoutAbout or our Services, are trademarks or registered trademarks of ShoutAbout or ShoutAbout licensors. Other trademarks, service marks, graphics and logos used in connection with our Services may be the trademarks of other third parties. Your use of our Services grants you no right or license to reproduce or otherwise use any ShoutAbout or third-party trademarks.
We are constantly updating our Services, and that means sometimes we have to change the legal terms under which our Services are offered. If we make changes that are material, we will let you know by posting on our blog, or by sending you an email or other communication before the changes take effect. The notice will designate a reasonable period of time after which the new terms will take effect. If you disagree with our changes, then you should stop using our Services within the designated notice period. Your continued use of our Services will be subject to the new terms. However, any dispute that arose before the changes shall be governed by the Terms (including the binding individual arbitration clause) that were in place when the dispute arose.
ShoutAbout may terminate your access to all or any part of our Services at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. If you wish to terminate this Agreement or your ShoutAbout account (if you have one), you may simply discontinue using our Services. All provisions of this Agreement which by their nature should survive termination shall survive termination, including, without limitation, ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity and limitations of liability.
8. Disclaimer of Warranties.
Our Services are provided "as is." ShoutAbout and its suppliers and licensors hereby disclaim all warranties of any kind, express or implied, including, without limitation, the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. Neither ShoutAbout nor its suppliers and licensors, makes any warranty that our Services will be error free or that access thereto will be continuous or uninterrupted. If you're actually reading this, here's a treat. You understand that you download from, or otherwise obtain content or services through, our Services at your own discretion and risk.
9. Jurisdiction and Applicable Law.
10. Limitation of Liability.
In no event will ShoutAbout, or its suppliers or licensors, be liable with respect to any subject matter of this Agreement under any contract, negligence, strict liability or other legal or equitable theory for: (i) any special, incidental or consequential damages; (ii) the cost of procurement for substitute products or services; (iii) for interruption of use or loss or corruption of data; or (iv) for any amounts that exceed the fees paid by you to ShoutAbout under this Agreement during the twelve (12) month period prior to the cause of action. ShoutAbout shall have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond their reasonable control. The foregoing shall not apply to the extent prohibited by applicable law.
11. General Representation and Warranty.
You represent and warrant that your use of our Services:
- Will be in strict accordance with this Agreement;
- Will comply with all applicable laws and regulations (including without limitation all applicable laws regarding online conduct and acceptable content, the transmission of technical data exported from the United States or the country in which you reside, privacy, and data protection); and
- Will not infringe or misappropriate the intellectual property rights of any third party.
You agree to indemnify and hold harmless ShoutAbout, its contractors, and its licensors, and their respective directors, officers, employees, and agents from and against any and all claims and expenses, including attorneys' fees, arising out of your use of our Services, including but not limited to your violation of this Agreement.
These Terms of Service were originally written in English (US). We may translate these terms into other languages. In the event of a conflict between a translated version of these Terms of Service and the English version, the English version will control.
This Agreement constitutes the entire agreement between ShoutAbout and you concerning the subject matter hereof, and they may only be modified by a written amendment signed by an authorized executive of ShoutAbout, or by the posting by ShoutAbout of a revised version.
If any part of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that part will be construed to reflect the parties' original intent, and the remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. A waiver by either party of any term or condition of this Agreement or any breach thereof, in any one instance, will not waive such term or condition or any subsequent breach thereof.
You may assign your rights under this Agreement to any party that consents to, and agrees to be bound by, its terms and conditions; ShoutAbout may assign its rights under this Agreement without condition. This Agreement will be binding upon and will inure to the benefit of the parties, their successors and permitted assigns.